Do you like to play in the snow, ski, snowboard, or snowmobile? Oregon's permit program helps provide parking at many of your favorite winter recreation areas.

You must have a valid permit displayed in the windshield of your vehicle if you park in designated winter recreation parking areas () between November 1 and April 30. Each of these areas are posted with signs identifying them as a WINTER RECREATION AREA. You will find in all mountain passes of the state as well as most recognized ski, snowmobile, and snow play areas.

Permit Types

There are three types of permits: an annual permit which costs $25, a 3-day (consecutive) permit which costs $9, and a daily permit which costs $4. Permits are sold at all DMV offices and by permit agents in resorts, sporting goods stores and other retail outlets. Agents are allowed to charge a service fee for each permit they sell.

Annual permits are also available by mail from the DMV headquarters office in Salem. To order an annual Sno-Park permit send a written request with your return address, phone number, and a check or money order to:

DMV, Vehicle Mail No. 1
1905 Lana Avenue
Salem Oregon 97314

For information on becoming a Sno-Park permit sales agent contact DMV, Vehicle Mail, at 503-945-7949.

The cost of the annual permit provides a discount to frequent Sno-Park users over the three day and daily permits. A survey of Sno-Park users indicated that an annual permit is used more than 13 times per winter.

Neighboring State Permits

permits issued by California and Idaho are honored in Oregon and Oregon permits are honored in those states. Parking in an Oregon without a permit may result in a $30 fine, so be sure to obtain a permit and display it on your vehicle.

To learn about California's program, contact California State Parks and Recreation at 916-324-1222 or visit the California State Parks and Recreation website.

To find out about Idaho's Park-n-Ski program, call Idaho Parks and Recreation at 208-514-2419 or visit the Idaho Parks and Recreation website.